Friday, October 31, 2014

Butterfly Paradise at Chiang Dao (Northern Thailand) Part 2

Continue from last post.

In part 2, let me begin with a picture of a female Grey Baron (Euthalia anosia anosia). I spotted her on the ground peeping at me. As I tried to go around here, she took off and landed a few meters away from me.  She never returned again after we snapped a few quick shots.
A pristine Clipper (Parthenos sylvia apicalis ) was busy feeding on the ground.
It kept flapping its wings. But with patience and determination, I managed to get one upperside shot.
It seemed that this time, the Great Nawab (Polyura eudamippus nigrobasalis) was more abundant than the Shan Nawab (P. nepenthes nepenthes) I was here last November. 
However, the Shan Nawab did appear on 16 Oct. These two friends walked pass each other while enjoying their meals.

There were at least two other Polyura species appeared at different times of the day. This is the Polyura athamas athamas (Common Nawab).
Another Common Nawab.
The common name of this Polyura species is called the Indian Yellow Nawab (Polyura jalysus jalysus)
The undersides of the Leaf Butterfly (Kallima inachus siamensis) varies but they do look like dry leaves.  
It opened and closed its wings very rapidly and irregularly. So I was quite contented that I was able to snap a quick shot. 
The underside markings on this specimen were certainly different from the previous one.

Here is another specimen which was found resting on a leaf in the late afternoon along a hill slope.
The Eastern Courtier (Sephisa chandra chandra ) is a very pretty butterfly. It stayed on the ground for a long period of time.
I always looked for opportunity to take some shots of a butterfly. This cooperative Eastern Courtier presented us with many opportunities of  photographing its undersides.
The ground colour of this Common Duffer (Discophora sondaica zal) blends very well with the surrounding. I would have chased it away if I had not stopped in time.
There are enough pictures for now in this post. I will showcase some smaller butterflies in my next post.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, some more fantastic butterflies. You have some captured some great pictures of them.

    ReplyDelete