Friday, September 27, 2013

Serenity and Diversity @ Lower Peirce Reservoir Park

It has been quite a long time since my last visit to the Lower Peirce Reservoir Park. I dropped by this easily-accessible reservoir park on a Saturday morning (24 Aug). My first reaction was wow, what a cool place and there were not many people here.
    
This pretty Malayan Plum Judy (Abisara savitri savitri)  landed on the boardwalk for less than a second before perching on a leaf. I approached closer and took two shots before it disappeared towards the reservoir edge. 
There were not many butterflies along the boardwalk so I took a closer look at dragonflies.I spotted a few small damselflies either resting or hovering in the air at one shady corner along the boundary of the reservoir. 
At another spot, I spotted this white juvenile damselfly - I have no idea what these two damselflies are.
Strolling on a section of the boardwalk which is built above the water, I arrived at a picnic ground fronting the reservoir. Watching some kids having fun with their parents on the groundsheets, I realised how fast years have passed. I lingered awhile, looking out for insects. Yes, you would not miss this mating squash bug having a good time on the red and prominent fruits.     

I am not sure what these fruits are but they certainly enhanced the composition of this shot - what a pity the mating pair moved away quickly.
This carpenter bee kept me busy for some time. This is my best attempt out of many shots.
This Malayan Lascar (Lasippa tiga siaka) displayed the typical pre-ovipositing behaviour - loitering around, making short perches and testing out the plants nearby.
Finally, she oviposited a single egg on the tip of a young Erycibe tomemtosa leaf.
Near the carpark, a solitary Small Branded Swift (Pelopidas mathias mathias) was taking a short break after feeding on the Ixora flowers.
There were many Cycad Blues (Chilades pandava pandava) fluttering amogst and feeding on flowers of the Yellow Creeping Daisy (Wedelia trilobata).  
Apart from the lush vegetation and the high canopy surrounding the reservoir, the serenity coupled with the morning breeze, the occasional bird melodies and the continuous cicada songs really changed my view of this reservoir park. I must come here more often to immerse myself into this calm and peaceful environment.    

No comments:

Post a Comment