Sunday, November 18, 2012

Some Critters Outside NTU

On a fine Saturday morning, I decided to explore a patch of wasteland outside Nanyang Technological University (NTU). At the "entrance", a female Striped Blue Crow (Euploea mulciber mulciber) was busy feeding on the Bidens flowers. I stalked and chased her for a while before I could nail a few shots.
Another elegant pose.
There were quite a number of dragonflies in the area, one of the species was this Nesoxenia lineata - this male specimen was rather tame perching on a twig waiting for me to take a few shots.
Another beautiful male dragonfly,  the  Crailla metallica was quite abundant there.
 This eight-legged critter looks like a jumping spider which was ambushing its prey on a leaf surface.
My last shot before I kept my camera was a female Spotted Judy (Abisara geza niya). She was rather "shy" and hopped around from leaf to leaf - no chance at all for a proper shot.
Here is a glimpse of her uppersides.
I was waiting at the bus stop when Ben Jin called me from the opposite side the road - glad to see him shooting again. I went with him exploring a small segment of this wasteland again. This time at least two Autumn Leaf (Doleschallia bisaltide?bisaltide)  butterflies came down to search for their nutrients on the ground. They were rather skittish and alert but at last this fellow stayed long enough for us to snap a few shots.  
I spotted this lycaeid resting on a blade of grass at a rather awkward angle. Dr Seow from BC  has identified  it as a female Pointed Line Blue (Ionolyce helicon merguiana)
 These yellow flowers of an aquatic plant were definitely attractive enough for us to take a shot.
I could sense that the wasteland should be a good place for butterfly-hunting.


No comments:

Post a Comment