Sunday, October 14, 2012

Skippers @ Mandai Park Connector

A cloudy Saturday morning on 29 September dampened my spirit of going for an outing.  As the weather improved gradually around noon, I headed to Casurina Road for lunch. After which, I went to explore  Mandai Park Connector.

The number of Gram Blue (Euchrysops cnejus cnejus) was not as many as before. I snapped a quick shot when this male opened its wings to sunbath when
With patience and waiting at the right place, it was not too difficult to take a shot of an adult.
The presence of a white cell spot on this brown skipper points to the Small Branded Swift (Pelopidas mathias mathias). I love the greenish-blue tints on the thorax shown on the upperside shot.
An orange insect perching on a blade of grass was prominent enough not to be used by any eyes. Getting an upperside shot was easy as this skipper always perched with wings open.
It was quite docile and allowed me to take a few shots from different perspectives.
With my intention of identifying the species, I tried very hard to nail an underside shot. This is the best I could get. Dr Seow from ButterflyCircle has identified it to be the Common Palm Dart (Telicota colon stinga).
I followed the tarred road and came to wasteland on a slope. Here I found quite a number of brown skippers. This one is The Formosan Swift (Borbo cinnara).
Another brown skipper resting on a blade of grass in a breeze.
Due to time constraint, I didn't venture further into the forest. At an open space opposite the shelter, I saw quite a few of butterflies and bees feeding on the Bidens flowers.  Look, the bee was really enjoying itself.
This is a male Striped Albatross (Appias libythea olferna) which was skittish and he loved to show off his uppersides while feeding on the flowers.   
This Detached Dart (Potanthus trachala tytleri) is one of the largest Potanthus species. Feeding on the flowers initially, it scooted off  when I accidentally disturbed it.  Fortunately, it perched again nearby.
This is another shot and its uppersides.


No comments:

Post a Comment