Saturday, September 22, 2012

A Short Outing to Lornie Trail

I dropped by Lornie Trail on a cloudy Sunday morning (9 Sept). Walking slowly along this familiar forest trail which was filled with screeching cicada songs only, I could sense that I was too early for a photography outing. Without pressing  the shutter until  I reached the reservoir edge much faster than I usually did.  

Finally a small butterfly Elbowed Pierrot (Caleta elna elvira)  appeared, flitting around at the ground level. With lots of patience and of course some luck, I managed to snap a few shots.
More butterfly species woke up from their sleeps when  sum rays began to penetrate the clouds and warm the earth. This female Malay Lacewing (Cethosia hypsea hypsia) was the first butterfly visiting the flowers. Flapping her wings slowly while feeding on some Mile-a-Minute flowers, she presented an instantaneous moment to test my reaction and skill.  I didn't fail badly - getting an open-wing shot which seemed to suggest that she was cruising in the air.  
Don't you think that her undersides are very pretty ?   
I usually don't bother chasing a Mycalesis butterfly unless it is as cooperative as this Mycalesis perseoides perseoides.  
A Large Snow Flat (Tagiades gana gana) was very high up,  feeding on some flowers at first. When it came down for a short while, I grabbed the chance of getting a quick shot.
I didn't see many skippers - a bit strange though. I think this is a Potanthus species that needs further confirmation.
On my way back, I passed by another location at which I usually found  some skippers feeding on the Leea indica flowers. There were a few Yellow Vain Lancers ( Pyroneura latoia latoia) and this one gave me the best pose. 
 I believe this is a Crimson Sunbird. He was very active on the Heliconia flowers so I should be satisfied with this shot.  
Well, I must say that this short outing to Lornie Trail was rather good after all.

 

3 comments:

  1. wow - but Lornie Trail is inside the forest, leh. Can see so many butterflies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we still can find some butterflies in the forest especially at those locations where wild flowers are growing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I went on Sunday late afternoon - too many people. Path quite narrow. If I go on weekdays, I stick to the outside boardwalk as it's not so lonely. I think I see more butterflies/dragonflies at the Prunus/Petai boardwalk instead of the Chemperai/Jiring Trail.

    ReplyDelete