Saturday, March 13, 2010

My Second Visit to Semakau Island Part 2

After a quick and simple packet lunch at the shelter, our "base camp", I checked out the forested area. The forest floor was piling up with many dead brown leaves due to the dry spell in the past few weeks.

The first critter I encountered was this pretty butterfly Hypolycaena thecloides thecloides which can be found quite regularly near mangrove areas in Pulau Ubin as well. The orange patches at the forewing apical and submarginal region are much more intense and prominent than its close relative Common Tit (Hypolycaena erylus teatus). The upperside wings are brown in both sexes. It liked to open its wings partially, making us quite frustrated if we were trying to get a good upperside shot.I encountered this rather tame and large beetle resting in the shade. I wonder if it has eaten and punctured the leaf foliage. This is an unattractive and dull-looking moth. However the shape of the wings is rather strange and unique. I have seen the name of the species before but I just cannot recall at the moment.

I saw quite a few Tiger Beetles on the beach. This species is different from what I usually saw in our parks or forest edges. I found it less skittish and shooting it was not as challenging as other Tiger Beetles.

From far I saw this lizard climbing up a tree growing on the shore. It scurried up the tree fast and high the moment I came closer. It looks like a juvenile to me but I have no idea what species it is.

Lastly, this solitary digger wasp, Stizus species according to John, was seen entering a subterranean tunnel on the beach. Just before it entered the tunnel, I took a quick shot. It appeared to me that the wasp was in the process of building the tunnel - an interesting behaviour.I only covered a tiny section of the island. I hope I will have another opportunity to explore more about the island in the near future.

Related posts :
1. http://peacockroyal.blogspot.com/2010/03/my-second-visit-to-semakau-island-part.html
2. http://peacockroyal.blogspot.com/2009/01/pulau-semakau-on-18-jan-2009.htm

4 comments:

  1. The lizard is a changeable lizard (Calotes versicolor), which is an introduced species.

    http://ecologyasia.com/verts/lizards/changeable_lizard.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took a pic of the shore tiger beetle too and Prof Cheong Loong Fah id'ed it as Cicindela sumatrensis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great, at least now I know its id. Thanks Marcus.

    ReplyDelete